Because Golden Retrievers are so visible and popular, some families decide this is the dog for them before ever really considering the typical traits of this breed. We suggest you learn more about Golden Retrievers before applying to adopt one. The Golden Retriever Club of America is a great resource for learning more about the breed. If, after considering the pros and cons of these dogs, you feel ready to pursue an adoption, read on!
Please note that we have a long waitlist of approved applicants waiting for the right dog. There is a chance that the dogs on the Available Dogs page may be adopted by the time your application screening is completed. Because TGRR is committed to the long-term safety and happiness of each dog we rescue, keep in mind the following:
- Applicants must have a structural fence attached to their home.
- Applicants must have a good veterinary care history - we contact your veterinarian and ask if prior pets have been kept up-to-date on vaccinations and if dogs have been on heartworm and flea/tick prevention.
- If there are children in the home or children that often visit, they must be at least 5 years old.
- We prefer that applicants live in a home (as opposed to an apartment, townhome or condo).
- We do not approve applications where the dog will be kept outside when the owner is not home or sleeping.
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions page for additional information.
The application fee is $40. This non-refundable fee must be received before we start processing the application.
Our adoption fees are:
- 0-6 years old $400
- 7-9 years old $250
- 10+ years old $150
How to Apply to TGRR
- Fill in and submit the Online Adoption Application.
- The $40 non-refundable application fee can be paid at the end of the adoption application process (via PayPal). If paying your application fee by check, please mail it to the address listed below, and write "Adoption Application" in the note section of your check.
6828 Deer Haven Rd.
Belews Creek, NC 27009
- In order to avoid a delay in processing your application, please immediately contact your veterinarian, and authorize the release of information to Triad Golden Retriever Rescue. A TGRR volunteer will contact your Veterinarian asking if you have kept pets up-to-date on vaccinations and provided heartworm and flea/tick prevention to your dog(s).
- Once your application fee is received and veterinarian reference is obtained, a TGRR volunteer will contact you for a phone interview.
- After the phone interview, you will receive an email asking for specific photos of your home and fenced yard.
- A home visit will be scheduled for applicants in the Triad Area. For applicants who live outside the Triad, supplementary materials may be requested in lieu of a home visit.
- The application screening process typically takes 3 – 4 weeks.
Once the screening process has been completed, you will be notified via email as to whether your application has been approved.
The decision to place one of our dogs in an adoptive home is our most important work. We do not operate on a first-come, first-served basis. Our goal is to find the absolute best forever home for each dog and its' specific needs.
Please note that application to TGRR does not guarantee adoption of a dog from our organization. The number of applications received far outnumbers the number of dogs we receive.
Adoption Applications are kept on file for 12 months from the date they are submitted.
Click here to complete and submit the Online Adoption Application.